IOC/Red Cross public comments period

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Mar 5 20:27:54 CET 2012

Alain

So, it all starts in San José where the RC movement is sending 3 NPOC members from Washington and Geneva. They must feel welcome in order to dialogue - rather than feel rotten tomatoes will be thrown at them during the entire meeting. Even if it seems a majority of the NCSG members expressing themselves disagree with their current position.

Yes, but...in many respects the opportunity for dialogue was already passed up by the Red Cross. They and IOC went to the GAC and did their lobbying for their position that way. As far as I can recall, their proposal for special protections was not brought to the NCSG or even to the GNSO. That in itself accounts for the somewhat hostile reception the proposal is getting, not only from NCSG but also from ALAC.

So we will have an opportunity to engage F2F with these NPOC members - understand them better and explain NCUC's position to them. Will it be the last opportunity to do so? Will it be a tigers' den? a tribunal even? or a mature exchange where all feel comfortable to bring forth their principles, arguments, concerns and constraints? I hope the latter.

I personally would be happy to engage in discussion on this topic, even without any expectation that minds will be changed. I think it is simply a matter of courtesy and of recognition of the importance of developing policy within the MS process, and not bypassing it via Congressional committees and GAC. We owe it to each other to recognize that there are real people on both sides of this debate and real policy development processes that are supposed to be followed.