IOC-RC protection proposal by NPOC

Alain Berranger alain.berranger at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 12 18:37:24 CET 2012

Dear NCSG Colleagues,

We are pleased to share a proposal from NPOC leadership.

*
*

*Context*: Given the IOC and Red Cross exemption (some of us call it
protection) and the Drafting Committee Chair report to GNSO this morning -
we find it wise, for the benefit of our current and future NPOCmembers, as
well as the ICANN Community at large, that NPOC promotes and supports a)
the proposal from the WG and b), in a broader manner, the generic extension
of this protection based on avoiding the setting of a precedent, and based
on objective and independantly verifiable criteria to define who or who
does not qualify:****

*Proposition:*
Would receive new gTLD protection: "Any organization operating globally in
the public interest and enjoying International Legal Personality in the
country where its Headquarters are located, and its members."****

**

Alain

--