2 March deadline for NCSG proposed discussion topics for Costa Rica meetings (1) NCSG with Board (2) Public Forum

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Thu Mar 1 22:27:26 CET 2012

Dear all,

Thanks to all who have provided suggested topics or further elaborations to suggested topics for the ICANN Costa Rica meeting.

We need to submit our top 3 discussion topic choices for 2 different meetings: the NCSG meeting with the Board of Directors on 13 March, and also the Public Forum on the 15th for community-wide discussion.  Tomorrow (2 March) is our deadline to submit our top 3 topics for each meeting.

I've tried to go through the various emails from the last few weeks to pick out the topics suggested and list them below.  I apologize if I missed any suggestions or mis-interpreted a suggestion in its listing below.  If so, please shoot me an email and let me know.

Please continue to provide your feedback and further elaborations in the next day so we can hone this down to 3 well-developed topics for each meeting - and especially for our NCSG meeting with the board.  Thank you!

Best,
Robin

Proposed Discussion Topics for Board & NCSG Meeting (March 13):

1.  Role of ICANN to protect the multi-stakeholder model of governance and ensure civil society as an equal participants to business and governments.  /  Ensuring role of bottom-up policy development process
(On a side note: from what I hear is happening at IGF lately, with the role of civil society diminishing against expanding business & governmental power in IGF decision making structures, ICANN could distinguish itself from IGF by more actively supporting participation from noncommercial users.)

2.  How to "internationalize" ICANN's operations and perspectives

3.  Reserved names in new gtlds - circumvention of policy development process & precedent

4. CEO search criteria / efforts

Proposed Discussion Topics for Public Forum (March 15):

1. LEA advocated policy changes in RAA / How LEAs fit in ICANN process

2. Reserved names in new gtlds

3.  Management of applicant support