Fwd: [governance] Verisign seizes .com domain registered via foreign Registrar on behalf of US Authorities

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Thu Mar 1 14:17:38 CET 2012

Is this new, or just more of what ICE has been doing before.  I don't
remember if Verisign's been used in this way before.  Clip from the
blog post (link below)

"We all know that with some US-based Registrars (*cough* Godaddy
*cough*), all it takes is a badge out of a box of crackerjacks and you
have the authority to fax in a takedown request which has a good shot
at being honoured. We also know that some non-US registrars, it takes
a lot more "due process-iness" to get a domain taken down.

But now, none of that matters, because in this case the State of
Maryland simply issued a warrant to .com operator Verisign, (who is
headquartered in California) who then duly updated the rootzone for
.com with two new NS records for bodog.com which now redirect the
domain to the takedown page."

Adam

foreign Registrar on behalf of US Authorities
To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org

http://blog2.easydns.org/2012/02/29/verisign-seizes-com-domain-registered-vi
a-foreign-registrar-on-behalf-of-us-authorities/

    governance at lists.igcaucus.org
To be removed from the list, visit: