[governance] Reminder: The Big Reveal is in One Hour

David Cake dave at DIFFERENCE.COM.AU
Wed Jun 13 20:21:25 CEST 2012

And there is a lot of contention there. 10 separate apps for .art, 13 separate apps for .app, etc. Let the games begin.

On 13/06/2012, at 9:01 PM, William Drake wrote:

> Not to worry Chris, the fun is distributed…there's a Chinese application for 'Public Interest', the word 'Arab' could belong to the League of Arab States, etc..
>

> On Jun 13, 2012, at 2:37 PM, CW Mail wrote:
>
>> Well, it looks like a wholesale attempt to privatise hundreds of generic words in the English language.
>>
>> CW
>>

>> On 13 Jun 2012, at 14:22, William Drake wrote:
>>
>>> http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/application-results/strings-1200utc-13jun12-en
>>>
>>> ICANN's numbers a bit revealing and arguably sad.  Quoting the 1 pg overview:
>>>

>>> 1930 applications, after refunds, for new generic top-level domains.
>>> 1846 of those are “standard” applications.  84 are designated as “community-based”.
>>>
>>> Of the 1930, 66 have designated themselves as geographic name applications.
>>> 116 applications are Internationalized Domain Names, or IDNs, using non-Latin scripts.
>>>
>>> Just three applicants seek support through ICANN’s Applicant Support Program [that CS fought to get established.]
>>>
>>> Applications  from 60 countries. Using ICANN’s definitions of the world’s regions:
>>>
>>> 911 applications came from North America.
>>> 675 from Europe.
>>> 303 applications are from the Asia-Pacific region.
>>> 24 are from Latin America and the Caribbean.
>>> 17 from Africa.
>>>
>>> Some domain names have been applied for by more than one applicant. There are 230 domain names for which at least two applications were submitted, involving a total of 751 applications.

>>>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

>>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

David Cake
Chair, Electronic Frontiers Australia
'Here comes the future, you can't run from it,
If you've got a blacklist, I want to be on it'
- Billy Bragg, Waiting for the Great Leap Forward