Opinions? Fwd: [] List of possible approaches for Red Cross/IOC names in new gTLDS

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Tue Jul 24 20:11:01 CEST 2012

I think it's important to remember that ICANN is not ICTWI (the Internet
Corporation for The Whole Internet).  Just Assigned Names and Numbers.  Not
web sites, not email, not VoIP, etc.

Whatever issues arise in terms of fraud, etc., that do not follow directly
from IP addresses and domain names per se should not be part of ICANN's
purview.  To the extent that DNS-related policy can support law enforcement
in addressing these other realms, balanced policy would be productive.  But
ICANN should not have any direct authority over those other realms.

The main question here is, is ICANN the proper forum to adjudicate all of this?

ICANN is not (and shouldn't become) the King of the Internet.  It's just
charged with making sure DNS doesn't break, and anything directly related
to that mission.

Fraud is certainly a serious issue, but this org is not the one to address
it comprehensively.  It's still unclear to me that there is any "fraud"
that can be applied to domain names per se without taking into account the
*use* of the domain (applications such as web sites, etc.).  And once you
get into that realm you're beyond ICANN's charge.  Or at least you should
be.

As Robin points out, ICANN already has a bunch of TM-related provisions in
place.  Burden of proof is on those who call for more or special treatment.
Are we going to make ad hoc policy for everyone in the world?  Where does
it stop?

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.