Opinions? Fwd: [] List of possible approaches for Red Cross/IOC names in new gTLDS

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Jul 24 14:39:57 CEST 2012

There's the rub. If sourced correctly. No way I trust ICANN staff or Board to handle this properly.
I still maintain that the expectation that a study is going to settle this is naïve.

I would actually be interested to see Option 5 - settle once and for all whether there is any legal obligation, by treaty or statute, for the IOC and ICRC names. I believe this would eliminate the IOC claim and greatly diminish the IGO claim.

I agree.  An independent study, not by the GC.  Positions are entrenched and nobody's convincing each other, so an additional input could be useful if sourced correctly.

Bill