Opinions? Fwd: [] List of possible approaches for Red Cross/IOC names in new gTLDS

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Sun Jul 22 21:42:24 CEST 2012

Well, as long as we're taking a vote, even if only informally, +1.

I also endorse Kathy and Milton's previous discussion.  Prejudging TM
infringement by entities that are not formally part of the public
judicial/court system constitutes an inappropriate delegation of active
preemptive legal authority to non-judicial, non-independent decision-makers
(as Milton notes: the "intermediary responsibility problem") and seriously
undermines legal accountability.

If capture of public governance by elite powers for narrow interests is a
bad thing when it happens with an elected/appointed government, it is far
worse in the context of a quasi-autonomous/authoritative non-governmental
organization with far less direct structural accountability to a strong,
effective independent judiciary.  It is "industry capture" on steroids --
an escape valve from any meaningful checks and balances (as Milton notes:
"powerful chilling effects").

It's the preemption of public governance by private governance -- still
"governance" any way you look at it, and going in the wrong direction with
regard to public accountability.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.