gTLD for developing regions was Re: [] knitters needle

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 9 19:54:54 CEST 2012

Apart from the razor's method of discriminating between temporary more
legitimate scientific assumptions about cause, I agree with Evan that in
all likelihood, outreach level was not to blame for small african
demand. Many other explanations (that is, statements of possible causes)
would make more sense on their face than lack of outreach.

On the philosophy of science can of worm (my favorite subject): Evan is
likely conflating positivistic conjonction of empirical events (which,
in fact, *denies* causation as an instrumental/heuristic part of its
theoretical portrayal of real world dynamics) with more
modern/complex/appealing philosophy of science accounts of causation.
But the two (positivist science and causation) are not to be put
together lightly. Positivist science cannot deal with cause. This is
true even in probabilistic version of this PoS position. Cause is not to
say when x happen there is a z% chance that y happens also (autism has
allegedly a small % more chance to afflict you if you are living close
to a highway), cause require you to say "why" is this the case. And in
this case, it is likely that one of the epidemiological variables that
have been found to be in conjunction was in fact confounding.

What comes out of the bulk of the very interesting literature on cause
and philosophy of science positions is *not* to favor the simplest
explanation, let me assure you. elegance is still valued, but simple as
got nothing to do with squat. That being said, I agree that the
conflation of is and ought (which can manifest itself with 'wishful
thinking attitudes') is unhelpful.

Let me also say that purported lack of demand does not, on its face,
render the tld expansion program less desirable. While it is a factor to
consider in the evaluation of its desirability, it is not the only one,
nor the most important one. It is indeed a quite common economic policy
intervention that sees governments and regulators try to institute
programs/regimes that may purport to create demand and to forge a new
market (or nudge a market toward different sets of rules).

Nicolas