gTLD for developing regions was Re: [] knitters needle

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 8 14:08:21 CEST 2012

Hi Bill,

> I heard a story in Prague that the latter was actually a screwed up effort
> to apply for the former.   Seemed rather funny at the time but may be
> apocryphal, would be curious to know…

I guess that dotafrica from dotconnectafrica  didn't have
governments endorsement  and probably a geographical gTLD it will be
doomed. dotafrica is controversial topic since a long time.mistake or not ,
I hope that will end the polemic.

It's easy to assert that the demand just wasn't there, but in the absence
> of any effective outreach that might have affected thinking it'd hard to
> know, so then it becomes a matter of adding layers of personal
> interpretation about they don't  need gTLDs, they have other things to do
> with their money, etc etc.  I can't see how that takes us very far.
>
> +1,

> Leaving aside the kind of applicants we as civil society types might have
> liked, there are a lot of big and even multinational companies now across
> the developing world for whom even the full $185k and operating costs could
> have been manageable and the business case for doing it would have been
> comparable to what the Northern firms saw.  Absent any real dialogue with
> such potential applicants or assessment of what ICANN did and didn't do, we
> won't really know what we're talking about.  So rather than projecting our
> respective viewpoints about the process generally onto this as purported
> explanations, why not get an assessment done so we have a little more
> datato go on.  We asked for one in our board meeting (but not in writing),
> and I believe GAC and ALAC did too.  Would be nice to hear something
> concrete from st

aff about next steps.

> yes for written request, ICANN board rarely answer directly our questions
during the meetings, let's push for accountability :9

Rafik