gTLD for developing regions was Re: [] knitters needle

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Fri Jul 6 17:25:24 CEST 2012

I call for remediation, not (self-) flagellation. but i expect you would not support that either.

I think JAS started up late and met resistance every step of the way.  But it broke through the perceptions to where many, if not all, realize the obligation toward developing countries.  So I think that if we start working now on doing better in the next round, then maybe our expectations won't be a quixotic.

As for demand, seeing the demand in the developed world, I can only assume that the demand may develop in the developing world.  Though Evan has argued well for the fact that new gTLDs are so much old tech and that no one really needs new gTLDs at all (allowing for the possible exception of IDNs).  So the two of you may have a common point on demand.

As for being a grinch, if I remember the story, he eventually came around.  We can only hope.

avri