gTLD for developing regions was Re: [] knitters needle

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Fri Jul 6 15:39:01 CEST 2012

On 6 Jul 2012, at 09:17, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) wrote:

> I am following a discussion on the same at a local IGF (Kenya IGF). Forgive my questions because sometimes ICAAN is complicated but I would like to understand:
> a) did anyone apply for the "aided" application that is supposed to be cheaper?

3 applied for application support

and according to : http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/statistics

17 applications from Africa
24 from LAC

> b) if yes, were these from developing countries?

I beleive so

> c) if these "aided "applications were few, just like those from developing countries, really, why is this so?

There are so many reasons being given  I still think the top reason  is outreach.  Others have argued that without local capacity such as Registry Service Providers and Registrars, it would be hard to fill the technical requirements of the application even if outreach had been done properly in Africa and elsewhere.

> d) and thinking aloud, did these applications even achieve the initial intention? is there an alternative to this system or have we(developing countries) been left behind in the next revolution?

Certainly they are grossly underrepresented in this round.

I think ICANN should be working now on a plan to remediate this in the next round - that is at least 3 years hence, plenty of time to make sure the capacity is ready for the applications and to work on making sure there is available funding.  But if developing countries do not develop their own Registries, Registry service providers and registrars I am afraid they will be left out of this continuing evolution.  This bit of cyber-colonialism, where Europe and US monopolize not only the name space but also the deployment of Registry Service Providers and Registrars,  is a big threat  to ICANN adequately fulfilling its duties as a custodian of Internet names.  So as ICANN, it is up to us to fix it.

> thanks!

thanks for asking.

avri