.CAT WHOIS Proposed Changes - call for public comments - Think hard!!

McTim dogwallah at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 23 20:52:00 CET 2012

On 1/23/12, Nicolas Adam <nickolas.adam at gmail.com> wrote:
> The devilish details will have to be with framing a balancing act
> between privacy and network operations.

That's right, and it was always the case (until fairly recently) that
to have an Internet resource one was

> Which brings me back to a previously unanswered set of questions
> regarding facts crucial to think about the appropriate balance to be
> sought between privacy and network operations.
>
> I asked (with apologies for naivety/ignorance):
>>
>> In the interest of seeing what could be done to alleviate the
>> challenges of network operators, could someone be kind enough to
>> present a digestible summary (or accessible references) that groups
>> the usual things that are sought by operators from registrants when
>> dealing with typical classes of network problems, as well as the
>> purpose for which they are sought after.

http://www.icann.org/en/faq/#gltdrules

"Information about who is responsible for domain names is publicly
available to allow rapid resolution of technical problems and to
permit enforcement of consumer protection, trademark, and other laws.
The registrar will make this information available to the public on a
"Whois" site"

Reasons vary, but can include a multitude of issues, DDOS attacks, DNS
abuse of various kinds, botnet mitigation, blacklisting, zone walking,
etc, etc.

>> Perhaps the possibility of certain actions on account of a registrant
>> (or the possession of certain information) could be transferred to [a]
>> proxy service offering hard anonymity, so that it could cooperate with
>> operators under certain classes of context?

Perhaps

> Any ideas on how to preserve the balance, McTim?

Which balance? today's (which IMHO is skewed towards "privacy") or
that of the earlier halcyon days of the network which were too
transparent for today's tastes (apparently)?

If you use Internet resources you have a responsibility to be
contactable regarding the (mis)use of that resource.  We (ICANNistas)
are not ensuring that responsibility is being upheld lately.

--
Cheers,

McTim