.CAT WHOIS Proposed Changes - call for public comments - Think hard!!

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Sun Jan 22 12:09:04 CET 2012

These are all great observations and thanks for bringing them forward. I also agree with  Avri, Kathy, Marc and others.

Would it be possible for someone who has already contributed to this list to also write a brief statement and send it to the list for endorsement? It would be ideal if it could be a NCSG statement, but in any case it looks like it can be a NCUC one.

Thanks

KK

From: Marc Rotenberg <rotenberg at EPIC.ORG<mailto:rotenberg at EPIC.ORG>>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:24:52 +0000
To: "NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU<mailto:NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>" <NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU<mailto:NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>>
Subject: Re: [NCSG-Discuss] .CAT WHOIS Proposed Changes - call for public comments - Think hard!!

On this point, there are a couple of US cases that are relevant.

In NAACP v. Alabama (1958) the US Supreme Court held that
the state of Alabama could not force the disclosure of the NAACP
membership lists. The Court said that the right to freedom of
association would be limited if the names of members of
unpopular organizations could be obtained by the government.

This is a very influential opinion that also contributed to later
decisions protecting anonymous speech as a part of freedom
of expression.

More recently, the US Supreme Court held in  an open
government case that AT&T could not claim a right of
"personal privacy." Corporations, though they may be
"legal persons" do not have a right "personal privacy."

Obviously, we believe there should be strong privacy
safeguards for individuals as opposed to corporations.
But It may be worth considering, in the context of ICANN
and WHOIS, whether political associations are entitled
to some privacy rights, given the close relationship to the
exercise of political freedom.

This would seem to be a reasonable position for the NCSG
to put forward.

Regards to all,

Marc Rotenberg.

PS Press associations also, in some contexts, are entitled
to greater privacy rights.