Met with Nancy Pelosi on SOPA - went well

Marc Perkel marc at CHURCHOFREALITY.ORG
Fri Jan 13 06:26:02 CET 2012

I used to have a software company in the 1990s and one of the things I
figured out was that most of my business came from piracy. People would
pirate my stuff - pass it around - and eventually it would end up in the
hands of corporations who would buy it. Piracy was my best form of
advertising.

Instead of looking at file sharing as piracy we look at it as free
advertizing and distribution. Each song or video would have information
embedded in it as to it's license status, owner, and where to but it.
Music players would be able to look at it - determine if it's paid for -
and offer you a chance to but it - at a really low price. Since there
are no advertizing or distribution costs then whatever you get is pure
profit. You use a micro payment system like the Apple Apps store or
Google to process the transaction. The artist gets a piece - the people
who wrote the player gets a piece. Everyone wins - everyone is happy.

Even those who pay nothing help out. The might pass it on to others who
do pay. They might blog about it and say what a great song it is. If I'm
an artist I'd rather have a great blog review than a single sale.

It's a new paradigm where piracy is your friend. Instead of trying to
stop piracy you embrace it as a marketing tool. Piracy becomes your
friend. Yes - people are going to download it and not pay. In fact most
will not pay. But - the some of those who do pay will be greater than it
is today. More buyers a and more money.

The idea is that if the product is cheap enough and if its really easy
to buy them more people will buy it. I subscribe to Netflix and they are
only getting probably 50 cents a show I watch. So stuff is already being
licensed in this price range. Apple is selling songs and videos for a buck.

So - the idea is to standardize tags and I think there are already some
standards. Might need to put in a public key so that the file only can
interact with licensed sellers and if anyone messes with the purchasing
then that would be a criminal act.

As you can see - I'm not breaking the Internet with this idea or giving
up liberties. It turns a problem into an asset. It will be a paradigm
shift though.

Who likes this idea?