Met with Nancy Pelosi on SOPA - went well

Joly MacFie joly at PUNKCAST.COM
Fri Jan 13 04:01:35 CET 2012

Personally I consider the RIAA and MPAA to be cartels that are engaged in a
desperate fight to maintain unreasonably high pricing. They should be
resisted so that they are forced to adapt to the economics of the networked
marketplace.

Their ploy of promoting "breaking the internet' only to cave so that nobody
complains about all the other draconian measures is a cynical end-around.
One can only hope the whole thing, if passed,  meets the same fate as COPA.

I still think the critters will punt so they can harvest a whole 'nother
round of campaign contributions from interested parties.

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Marc Perkel <marc at churchofreality.org>wrote:

>  I agree. I think we can do a win/win solution rather than compromise.
> Let's come up with something.
>

> On 1/12/2012 6:25 PM, Sarah El Ebiary wrote:
>
> That sounds great, Marc!
>
> I'm all in. My livelihood and career depend on the commercial exchange of
> intellectual property, but the entire Internet community, our privacy, and
> civil liberties should not have to suffer in order to protect some
> copyright owners from having their content usurped by online
> consumers/distributors.
>

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Marc Perkel <marc at churchofreality.org>wrote:
>
>> I have good news to report. I had an interesting day today. I met with
>> Nancy Pelosi today and talked about SOPA. She indicated that she was no fan
>> of SOPA and thought it probably wouldn't pass. She did say however the IP
>> is a real problem and that something needed to be done.
>>
>> I told her the I can come up with an alternative and I told her that if
>> she opposes SOPA that I would write a technical spec for something that
>> actually would work and not break the Internet. She was VERY interested and
>> she made sure that her assistant exchanged cards with me.
>>
>> I actually have an idea. I've been working on this for years and I will
>> write it up but not right away. But I want to put the challenge out there.
>> What can we come up with that is better than SOPA and doesn't involve
>> compromising our civil liberties values?
>>
>> Just wondering if some one of you will come up with the same idea I'm
>> thinking of. And - I do think that we should put something reasonable on
>> the table. And I think that the problem can be solved and we can solve it -
>> before they solve it for us.
>>
>> Ideas?

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com