Interesting ICANN story on NPR

warigia bowman warigia at AUCEGYPT.EDU
Thu Jan 12 20:57:37 CET 2012

Here is the NPR article if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/12/145042807/critics-see-disaster-in-expansion-of-domain-names

a clip . . .

"Beckstrom says ICANN deliberated this move for six years and will take
steps to protect brand names. Besides, he says, there is demand for the new
domains.

But Jon Leibowitz, chairman of the Federal Trade Commission, disagrees.

"My sense is that a lot of this demand is just absolutely artificial and
largely imagined by the ICANN board," Leibowitz says. "We're an agency
that's required to protect consumers, and from our perspective, this is a
potential disaster and we have an obligation ... to speak out."