new gTLD for a corporation

Horacio T. Cadiz hcadiz at PH.NET
Tue Jan 10 05:38:01 CET 2012

On 01/08/2012 11:58 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Horacio:
> This was one of the issues we debated at length in the vertical integration working group.

Milton,
   Thanks for the informative background on the discussions.
Now, more questions below.

> I and other more liberal-minded participants wanted a policy for private TLDs that would not assume that the TLD is selling registrations to the public. This would exempt them from SRS, EPP and even the $0.25 ICANN per-registration "tax" (or whatever the number is now).
>
> Many vested interests opposed this because they were afraid that we might enter a world of truly cost-based domain supply; e.g., many organizations might operate their own TLD and some large companies (e.g. Google) might give private domains away for free as an ancillary to some other service, and undercut the existing industry's ability to sell domains. So, just as so many policies in the program are designed to protect trademark holders at the expense of registries, registrars and users, so many others are designed to protect registrars and registries at the expense of users. It is a very interesting issue.

   I thought one of the ideas for the new gTLDs was precisely to open up the
market and foster competition.

> I have never actually had the time to read the AG detailed policy on this issue, and there was no consensus in the WG. But you are very perceptive to be aware of how these new TLD policies could make fundamental changes in the economics of the industry.

   I suppose that the private companies intent on operating their own private
gTLDs could continue to operate an SRS/EPP but always deny registrations.  B-)

--
Bombim Cadiz