Off-topic: Re: [NCSG-Discuss] Outcry as relief food expires in Kenya Red Cross warehouse

Maria Farrell maria.farrell at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 13 11:50:23 CET 2012

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the link. It is of great concern, though I'm not sure it's a
close fit with NCSG's core issues. Is the connection that the US Red Cross
is a member of NCSG?

Sarah - we've not met, and I know an email to a discussion list is perhaps
not the most nuanced place to discuss these issues. However, I believe the
NCSG discuss list is not the venue for incendiary comments such as
"Population control?", which imply murderous intent on the part of NGOs in
developing countries. You are of course entitled to your personal view that
NGOs are ineffective or even iniquitous, but I do not see how that opinion
is constructive within this forum. What possible relevance does this have
for developing noncommercial input to ICANN's GNSO policy development
process?

I hesitate to confront this openly on-list, because of the almost
inevitable waste of time and effort that may ensue. However, when shared
lists fail to stay on-topic and distribute trollish comments, it drowns out
reasonable voices and signals to potential contributors that they will not
be heard. Think what we could accomplish on developing inputs to current
ICANN policy issues with the same resources.

So rather than a long, heated thread on a topic of high concern but low
relevance, can we please consider directing our efforts towards current,
real policy issues of importance to the NCSG?

Currently outstanding are requests for people to volunteer on the drafting
team for the charter on domain name locking and the UDRP, Joy's efforts to
draft a mission statement for the NCSG, calls for comments on the Draft
Integrated Issues Report on IDN Variant Issues Project, and a just-expired
request for individual NCSG responses on the JAS issue. We also have a
policy call next Monday, 16 Jan. For my part, the Nominating Committee
application period for leadership positions has recently opened, and
nonprofit candidates are badly needed - so that is an ongoing task of this
group to find senior nonprofit people and encourage them to get involved
with ICANN.

In short, we have a lot of real work to do.

Maria