Questions/Options for Protection of IOC/Red Cross Names at Top Level

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Thu Feb 23 15:01:05 CET 2012

Thanks for this Mary – answering your questions below:

- this is a drafting team (DT) formed by the GNSO to formulate an appropriate response to the GAC request, right? If so, don't some of the options and the current request to extend protection to all languages (1) exceed implementation details and go into policy; which (2) is beyond the remit of a DT?

[Konstantinos Komaitis] I made this very point last night but it appeared that I was again the minority. I was told that the work of this DT includes this as well since it is a request from the GAC and we, therefore, need to find ways to address this. I said that it is quite out of the scope of this group to come with a list that includes every single possible language, but I was voted down again. At this stage, the IOC and the Red Cross will be submitting a list with the languages they want protected before CR.

- even if the DT by rough consensus presents one final recommendation to the Council, it is always helpful (as Chuck has noted) to give background. This is where the final report/document is helpful. Other reports from other groups have indicated where there was Full Consensus, Rough Consensus, Strong Opposition etc. Is this an option for this DT?

[Konstantinos Komaitis] this was again my recommendation and I will insist on this. I think that at the very least the Council should be aware of the options that have received some support, even if it is minimal. So, I would hope that with the support of Chuck and others, what will appear before the Council will be a breakdown of the various options and the support they received. (The IPC and others do not want the council to be presented with all the options, just the one that will receive rough consensus).

- NCUC has in the past also submitted a written minority report on recommendations (e.g. the GNSO's 2007 final report on new gTLDs). Depending on the outcome of the DT's discussion, this could be another option.

[Konstantinos Komaitis] I think it will be important for the NCUC to submit a minority position – we need to have a written statement for the record.

Cheers

KK

Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK>

<NCSG-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu>

2/23/2012 4:43 AM

Re: [NCSG-Discuss] Questions/Options for Protection of IOC/Red Cross Names at Top Level

Thanks for this Joy - yes, I am insisting and will be insisting that the GNSO is presented with more than one option - at the very least the GNSO should be presented with the options that have received some support even if that support is minimal. So, we have supported option number 1, which basically says stick to the applicant guidebook which already provides special protection for these terms but do not go beyond this. of course, we are the minority and the rest of the DT want to go for the option that elevates these terms to a 'modified reserved status', which in some instances it is even worse than what ICANN originally meant by reserved names. But, the GNSO needs to get all the fact before they discuss and decide on the DT's recommendations . This is especially the case if option number 1 has also the support of ALAC (which I understand it has). In any case and if the group eventually decides to go only with the recommendation that has received rough consensus I would hope that our councillors ask to hear whether other views were expressed during the DT's discussions

Thanks

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Senior Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA