Questions/Options for Protection of IOC/Red Cross Names at Top Level

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Tue Feb 14 10:35:40 CET 2012

Thanks Joy - the more I think about it the more I reject option 3 or any option for that matter that will require legitimate applicants (existing trademark owners, the Greek gov. etc) to ask for IOC's permission. What does this permission mean? Currently, in most of the cases, it comes with license fees. Does it mean that an applicant, even if they get permission by IOC, they will have to pay a license to do so?

As there is a great possibility for IOC to charge for these 'permissions' -I am not sure how we can water this down. This is already an expensive process and 'permissions' have the tendency to come with 'costs', especially when we are talking about an entity that makes all its money through sponsorship deal and by taking advantage of the Olympic name.

Originally, I found ridiculous the idea that legitimate rights' owners would have to ask for a permission to use a term that they lawfully hold; now, I find it both ridiculous and scary that they might even have to pay for it.

I could work with option 7 :)

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Senior Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA