AW: [NCSG-Discuss] [NCSG-Discuss] Questions/Options for Protection of IOC/Red Cross Names at Top Level

McTim dogwallah at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 9 11:41:00 CET 2012

On 2/8/12, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
> Dear Milton,
>
> Not sure who were addressing.  You quote McTim, but I think that I was the
> one who wrote the line you commented on.
>
> On 8 Feb 2012, at 14:10, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>
>> Tell me: what procedures, standards, accountability arrangements, etc.
>> ensure that the IO only acts on behalf of "small communities, especially
>> indigenous and poor communities who find an application does harm to their
>> community?"
>>
>> It is amateurish politics
>
> By amateur do you mean those who love politics as opposed to the
> professionals who get paid to do it?
> Or are you just starting out with a little bit of a rhetorical flourish to
> pull the respondent off guard?
>
>> to think that you can give powers to an entity based on nothing more than
>> the hope that that power will only be used in ways that you think it ought
>> to be used. And please, think for just a few moments about how many other
>> people there are out there, with different values, who hope it will be
>> used in ways that _they_ hope for.
>
> I believe this would be adhered to for several reasons:
>
> 1. that is the basis on which these community interest objections can be
> filed as documented in the guidebook and in the policy that guides the
> guidebook.
> 2. if the IO attacks on a different basis, it can be thrown out as a
> frivolous objection just as any other group's can, as documented in the
> guidebook
> 3 this is not happening in a dark room, but in an environment where the
> entire community, including you, can read the objections, watch the process
> and create incredible political (both amateur and professional) hardship for
> the IO who goes astray.  In fact in a case where an Objection is done
> inappropriately and not thrown out a frivolous, a group such as the NCSG can
> offer to add content and support the the applicant response.
>
> But you do bring up a good point.  We have not seen the written guidance for
> the IO yet,

I think the "guidance" is all in the guidebook.  It seems pretty
straightforward and IMHO, quite limited in what the IO can or cannot
object to.

--
Cheers,

McTim