US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN's internet treaty

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Wed Dec 19 05:02:57 CET 2012

Hi Milton,

A point I think you miss is that the word "Internet' does not need to be spelled out for the hooks to be there for Internet control.

e.g.
What is telecommunications about SPAM - no matter what euphemism they use
What kind of security is there in telecommunications beyond robustness.
And if ROA isn't good enough anymore, who exactly is going to be covered by AOA?

You think that doing a word search is analysis of the text?  After spending 23 days and nights among these folk I have lot of respect for their ability to use language and to say what they want to say without using the red flagged words.

As I have said elsewhere, I think they negotiated to a drawl.  the Internet is in the ITRs even of the words aren't, but subtly and not in any way near as strong and emphatic as they (many Member states)  want and will keep pushing for it.  This is a tussle that isn't even close to finished.

And I can't wait for the next episodes.

avri

PS. I do beleive the camel got its nose in the tent.