Fwd: [Itu2012chapters] list of signers and those who haven't signed

Carlos A. Afonso ca at CAFONSO.CA
Sat Dec 15 19:43:49 CET 2012

Brazil did sign. There have been the usually silly declarations from
some gov reps that "the ITU does not control the Brazilian (sic)
Internet". They seem to be happy with the roaming clauses and the
mention of regional IXPs etc.

Our main concern is how far this will go in terms of policy within
Brazil. Two crucial articles in our Internet Bill of Righst (Marco
Civil) are being attacked. Article 9 is under pressure by a lobby of the
transnational telcos operating in Brazil with full support of the
Ministry of Communications, to either eliminate net neutrality from the
Marco or define Anatel (our telco regulator) as the organization who
will take control of the Internet link layer (or in their words,
"regulate net neutrality"). Major worry is if this will mean the
adoption of Y.2770 and the freedom to peek into and manipulate traffic
at the link layer to the delight of telcos (of course they already do this).

The other article of concern (Art.15) is what refers to accountability
of intermediaries. Lobby led by the likes of Rede Globo wants explicit
insertion of takedown procedures, and there is also pressure to keep
mandatory logs of navigation sessions as well.

So Marco Civil is in danger of becoming a lame, useless piece, or worse,
one more instrument in the hands of telcos and big midia, instead of the
major national reference from the point of view of users' rights for
legislation and regulation affecting the Internet.

To compound the difficulties, some sectors of the federal government are
pushing since 2011 for modifications in the structure of governance of
names and numbers in Brazil. One of the scenarios is a future
re-statization of CGI.br, since 2003 a multistakeholder organization in
which the majority of members are elected by non-gov interest groups.
One vision calls for going back to 2002, when gov indicated the non-gov
members without public consultations. This movement started in mid-2011
with the Min.of Communications pressing for the end of "Norma 4" -- the
federal norm which determined that the Internet is a value added service
not subject to telecom laws and regulations. This was approved at the
time CGI.br was created in 1995. The end of Norma 4 together with
pressures to change in statutes of the organization operating the domain
name system in Brazil (NIC.br, which is overseen by CGI.br) are
indications of this trend.

This process of Marco Civil through Congress coincided in time with the
last phases of the WTSA and WCIT processes, and of course the latter
heavily affected the former.

Not happy times here in this area!

--c.a.