US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN's internet treaty

Evan Leibovitch evan at TELLY.ORG
Sat Dec 15 17:14:28 CET 2012

I broadly agree with Olivier's response to Milton's blog entry on the issue.

http://www.internetgovernance.org/2012/12/13/what-really-happened-in-dubai/#comment-3757

 The linkage of the resolution to the less-publicized side work on creating
international standards for Deep Packet Inspection is important, arguably
critical.

Perhaps the most damning part of the treaty process was the concept of
asserting state "rights" as equivalent or superior to human rights. Sure,
every country is sovereign, but countries -- like corporations -- (IMO) are
not entitled to treaty-defined rights as people are. Indeed, assertions of
human rights are usually done to counter imposition of state "rights" over
its citizenry.

ICANN has dodged a bullet here, but the outcome must not be seen as an
approval (or non-rejection) of "business as usual". The ALAC "R3" paper,
started almost a year ago, seeks to make ICANN more responsive and better
able to address the challenges made to it in Dubai. I welcome NCSG
participation in it, as indicated by Mary's mention in another email thread
here. I was delighted with the beginning of the NPOC engagement with it in
Toronto<https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Multi-stakeholder+process+from+the+NGO+perspective+Toronto+2012-10-17>and
look forward to NCUC's participation as well.

- Evan

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada