US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN's internet treaty

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Fri Dec 14 07:49:08 CET 2012

Hi,

As a advisor on the US delegation, I must add that this is very much to their credit.  They really really wanted to be able to sign the treaty and it is only because they stood on principle about defending the Internet especially from control of content.  They worked hard, harder than I even imagined the government could work to get a treaty they could sign.

As someone who is generally not very supportive of governments I am very impressed by this effort.

I got to see the sausage made, and I am so glad at least 30 countries, it seems, will avoid it.  But the story is not over and will continue next year in the World Telecommunity Policy Forum (WTPF), where Internet Governance is the subject.

avri