WCIT - devil in the details?

Joly MacFie joly at PUNKCAST.COM
Fri Dec 14 12:33:02 CET 2012

 @*miltonmueller* <https://twitter.com/miltonmueller>

ISOC & others say that "Internet issues do not belong in the ITRs:" can
they pls tell us where Internet is mentioned in current
draft?#*WCIT*<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WCIT&src=hash>
**
** **

 >> *UNITED STATES OF AMERICA*: Mr. Chairman, as head of the U.S.
Delegation, I wanted to start out and thank you for your tireless work and
leadership. Your personal commitment to a successful outcome here is very
impressive. ****

*However, I do need to say that it's with a heavy heart and a sense of
missed opportunities that the U.S. Must communicate that it's not able to
sign the agreement in the current form.* ****

The Internet has given the world unimaginable economic and social benefit
during these past 24 years. All without UN Regulation.
We candidly cannot support an ITU Treaty that is inconsistent with the
multistakeholder model of Internet governance. As the ITU has stated, this
conference was never meant to focus on Internet issues. However, today,
we're in a situation where we still have text and resolutions that cover
issues on spam and also provisions on Internet governance. These past two
weeks of course we have made good progress and shown a willingness to
negotiate on a variety of telecommunications policy issue, such as roaming,
and settlement rates. ****

But the United States continues to believe that Internet policy must be
multistakeholder driven. Internet policy should not be determined by Member
States, but by citizen, communities, and broader society. And such
consultation from the private sector and civil society is paramount. This
has not happened here.
We live in an interconnected world, which is becoming more interconnected
with every passing day. We came to this conference with a hope for finding
ways to advance our cooperation in the telecommunications arena, and
continue to believe that is an important goal. ****

We are disappointed that this conference didn't fully provide that
opportunity. But remain committed to finding other ways to advance on our
shared common goals. ****

Mr. Chairman, I'd like to ask at this -- that this intervention be entered
into the record of the plenary and thank you for your time.****

** **

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com