The DNS problem

Horacio T. Cadiz hcadiz at PH.NET
Wed Aug 22 12:22:07 CEST 2012

On 08/22/2012 05:34 PM, Andrei Barburas wrote:

> Two or more domain names can share the same IP address
>and not every
> domain/site has a unique IP address.

   That is correct. The DNS is just for mapping
names to IP addresses.

> As for the Internet working without
> the DNS, it is true when you refer to IPv6, not IPv4.

   I think it depends on how we define "working."
Packets can be delivered without the DNS. Hosts
can communicate even without the DNS. There
was an IPV4 network even before the DNS.
TCP/IP (regardless of version) works without
the DNS.

   The DNS just makes it more useful for
persons.

--