The DNS problem

Andrei Barburas abarburas at IICD.ORG
Wed Aug 22 11:34:05 CEST 2012

This statement is slightly wrong:

"The creation of domain names is just a way of making sure that there are
no collisions in the names. With domain names, the "server" in your network
can be differentiated from "server" in my network. This allows the
different domains to name their machines independently of other domains. The
Internet will work even without DNS. As long as we can remember the IP
address of our favorite sites and they don't change their IP addresses, and
... I don't think there'd be much of a problem."

Two or more domain names can share the same IP address and not every
domain/site has a unique IP address. As for the Internet working without
the DNS, it is true when you refer to IPv6, not IPv4.

Cheers,

*Andrei Barburas*

Community Relations Services Officer

International Institute for Communication and Development (IICD)

P.O. Box 11586, 2502 AN The Hague, The Netherlands

Mobile: +31 62 928 2879

Phone: +31 70 311 7311
Fax: +31 70 311 7322
Website: www.iicd.org