Saudi Arabia objects to some new gTLDs

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Wed Aug 15 18:27:28 CEST 2012

This might be a good time to remind the board that one of GNSO's
recommendations was the principle that the process not infringe
freedom of expression rights.  That was something NCUC fought for and
got in the final gnso recommendations, but has been long forgotten by
staff (and the community) in the implementation of these
recommendations.

Robin

On Aug 15, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The whole notion of sensitivities came it, if I remember correctly,
> because no one wanted to accept the notion of National Law
> objections, thus they were renamed sensitivities.
>
> Freedom of expression allows for all to comment on their own and
> the sensitivities of others.  what is critical is that the Board
> not bar TLDs based on sensitivities unless they reach the threshold
> of defined objections.
>
> But government sensitivities may be the first indicators of
> requests for GAC warnings and advice.  So they are important
> indicators and calls to action.
>
> avri
>
> On 15 Aug 2012, at 14:47, Mark Leiser wrote:
>
>> To me, this only reaffirms Professor Mueller's statement about
>> objecting to sensitivities. If every country objected (and won the
>> argument) based on a sensitivity issue...
>>

>> Kind regards,
>>

>> Mark Leiser
>>

>> 145 Kilmarnock Road
>> Suite 612
>> Glasgow G41 3JA
>> Tel: +44 (0)845 299-7248
>> Email: markleiser at gmail.com
>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/markleiser
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/mleiser
>> Fax: +44 0141-404-2633
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Marc Perkel
>> <marc at churchofreality.org> wrote:
>> What if Richard Branson of Virgin Airlines wanted .virgin? That
>> would actually make sense.
>>
>> http://www.virgin.com/company
>>

>> On 8/14/2012 9:38 PM, Horacio T. Cadiz wrote:
>>   We've been discussing new gTLDs and HR. Milton objected to the
>> statement:  "Consideration of applications for new TLDs should be
>> mindful of sensitivities."
>>
>>   KSA objects to .virgin, .baby, and others
>>
>> http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/0/14/
>> icann.receives.registration.complaints.on.moral.health.grounds/
>>

>>    The sensitivities of the KSA have been aroused.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org