Fwd: [council] A New Approach to Africa

Alain Berranger alain.berranger at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 13 18:14:07 CEST 2012

Dear All,

This is a very welcome initiative in principle and the fact that the new
CEO has African roots is a plus for ICANN.

However, many interested people present in Prague - I am one - have been
excluded of this early thinking and, as a result their inputs, knowledge
and network were also missed. So we need to increase participation by all
already in ICANN who wish to see much more African participation in ICANN
and can help in the process. I for one have spent 5 years of my life in
Africa - as a consultant, an engineer, a fundraiser and a grantmaker at
various time -  and had the chance to carry-out short-term assignments in
31 countries in the process on that continent (and yet I feel I know very
little about Africa!). I would like to help as much as I can.

Also, we need to think of increased participation beyond the usual ICANN
arms' length folks, who are necessary of course and even critical but very
far from being sufficient. Much increased and broader African participation
will be a key asset for ICANN to continue its drive and succeed in
 becoming a global organization. Without a fully engaged Africa, it will be
difficult for ICANN to becoming truly international, diverse and global.

A dimension that also comes to mind are the new relations between China and
Africa, for better and for worse. That must be understood and leveraged for
ICANN to succeed in both Asia and Africa.

Alain

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA
Member, Board of Directors, CECI,