NCUC input on new gTLDs and human rights

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Aug 8 17:48:35 CEST 2012

Thanks, Joy,
The statement is massively improved. I added a few more comments.

I would still like to get rid of the idea that "Consideration of applications for new TLDs should be mindful of sensitivities." Any such consideration constitutes a restraint on freedom of expression and while de facto the board and GAC will be mindful they don't need any help or encouragement from us.

My only major concern pertains to the "Guardianship" principle - where the heck did that come from, and why are we recycling ancient RFCs drafted by computer scientists pretending to be global legislators? And why, how, who and when did that principle get elevated to the Master Principle that subordinates all the others, including Human Rights and Equity????