Magaly Pazello Public Statement accepting nomination

magaly mpazello at OI.COM.BR
Mon Aug 27 05:58:16 CEST 2012

Hello!
I hope my public statement reach the list in time, I am facing problems
with my internet connection...
------------------------

*2012 GNSO Council elections
NCSG Candidate Public Statement*

*Name, gender and region of residence:*
Magaly P. Pazello, female, South America (Brazil)

*Employment:*
I am self-employed as strategic technology advisor to nonprofits and
independent consultant. I am also a senior fellow of EMERGE-Communication
and Emergence Research Centre at Federal Fluminense University (Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil), where I lead the internet governance research area.

*Conflicts of Interest: *
I do not have any conflicts of interest. I am a collaborator of NUPEF
Institute and member of a several civil society and women's rights
coalitions and networks at local and global levels like the Women’s
Networking Support Programme of APC. I am also a member of of the financial
oversight council of ISOC Brazil. None of these organizations, including
ISOC Brazil, is involved with ICANN projects, but their interests are
consistent with NCSG mission.

*Reasons for willingness to take on the tasks of the particular position: *
My actively involvement in the World Summit on Information Society (WSIS)
and the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) gave me a clear sense of the role
ICANN plays in internet coordination system and the relevance to bring a
wide range of voices, multiple and diverse perspectives in addition the
technical approach. The decisions made in ICANN have extensive implications
to global public interests in a broad range of critical areas connected to
internet like human rights, diversity, privacy, resources distribution
among others. It also can affect people’s lives in different levels and
conditions. The tense and complex discussions about the new gTLDs, the
concentration of its resources in few hands, and the cultural, political
(sometimes ideological) and economic aspects involved in are a good example
of that. Moreover ICANN unique multistakeholder model bring opportunities
and new challenges for civil society, particularly for the organizations,
social movements and individuals from the economic South. In this way the
GNSO Council is a crucial space to ensure an effective multistakeholder
approach and, on the other hand, to raise a strong human rights perspective
in the policy development process.

As civil society representative I have been involved in the UN social
cycle, UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), and recently in the
Human Rights Council. In all these arenas I worked to help building a true
civil society participation and to ensure human rights, gender and economic
justice were in the center of the discussions and decisions taken. I also
have been working for long time to foster the women’s participation in the
internet governance and ICTs debate.

My nomination is a directly result of my participation in the last ICANN
meeting, where I was encouraged to run the GNSO council elections. I really
feel ready to bring my own experience in global arenas such as UN. I am
honoured to be nominated if elected I will do my best to help strengthen
the NCSG participation in the GNSO council as well ICANN as a whole.

*Qualifications for the position:*
Over 18 years I have been working with non-governmental organizations on
gender, human rights, and ICTs at national, regional and global levels. In
2003 I have launched the first feminist coalition to raise awareness on the
relevance of internet regulation to the human rights, to contribute to the
policy debates through the gender perspective. I have also contributed with
the dialog between technical community and women’s rights advocates in
Brazil. Since 2003 I have being participating in several Brazilian civil
society coalitions which advocacy work are connected with internet policy
field such as intellectual property rights, HIV/AIDS and communications,
free software, freedom of expression.

At global level, I was actively involved in the WSIS since its inception as
civil society representative. And also have played a key role during the
WSIS 2sd phase as Advocacy Team Leader of the WSIS Gender Caucus. After
WSIS I continue involved in activities related to its follow-up. I am a
civil society member of the Gender Working Group of eLAC the regional
follow-up mechanism coordinated by ECLAC and lately I was a member of the
Brazilian chapter of the Gender Advisory Board (GAB) of the UN Commission
on Science and Technology for Development (UNCSTD).

As senior fellow of EMERGE and collaborator of NUPEF Institute, in the last
five years I have conducted research on the strategic uses of internet by
political communities in Brazil and its connection to broader internet
governance topics and their interface with human rights and gender issues.
Currently I have been involved in a number of IGF activities

The first ICANN meeting I have attended was in Rio de Janeiro in 2003,
since that I followed the discussions despite not getting directly involved
in any of its organizational structure. However I believe I have a good
understanding of ICANN in general and issues being under discussion in GNSO
council. My very first engagement in the internet policy field was as civil
society representative in the ANATEL WSIS working Grup on Infrastructure,
between 2003-2004. ANATEL is the Brazilian telecommunications regulatory
agency.

*Statement of availability for the time the position requires:*
I have flexibility to fulfil the duties required by the position, including
to attend ICANN meetings and participate in the GNSO as well NCSG
conference calls, email discussions and other activities.

I welcome any questions :-)

Magaly Pazello