[ntfy-gnso-iocrc-dt] REMINDER: Meeting Invitation/GAC/GNSO issues related to International Olympic Committee (IOC) & Red Cross (RC) names discussion group

Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Wed Apr 18 20:26:18 CEST 2012

And I've volunteered to send a request to the Council, to seek
clarification as to what the expected role/scope of this group is now,
in light of the recent actions by the GNSO and the Board, by way of
motion and resolutions, respectively.

The IOC-RC Drafting Team does not seem to be unified in its view on
this; some want to push forward, others support getting clarification
from the GNSO Council. One potential complication is timing, especially
for second level protections - even if a PDP results from our motion
that the Council just passed, it may not be completed in time (i.e.
before delegation of the first new gTLD into the root). This is one
reason that some are saying the group should go ahead with its work,
even while awaiting guidance from the Council.

By way of reminder: the DT is not a formal working group and hence does
not have a formal, written charter. It was formed by the Council in
Dakar (Oct 2011), to respond to the GAC request for additional
protections for the IOC & RC. The GAC letter currently remains
unanswered by the GNSO, hence is another basis for saying that the DT
should move ahead with its work in the meantime.

Link to the GNSO motion: http://gnso.icann.org/resolutions/#201204

Link to the Board's resolutions, one regarding a request to staff and
the GNSO for information on second level protections, the other
regarding the Board's decision not to make any further changes to the
AGB at this time:
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-new-gtld-10apr12-en.htm

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong at law.unh.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on
the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584>>>