Update on IOC/RC issue: motion proposed by NCSG for PDP

Joy Liddicoat joy at APC.ORG
Tue Apr 10 04:23:50 CEST 2012

Thanks Avri and for the link Klaus: interesting.
I am not so convinced a human rights argument justifies international legal personality for organisations (must read the book referred to) or in any event for prioritising IGOs over the human rights and freedoms of individuals. But, should it get this far, it could be a good case study (even though it is an issues paper and not a PDP) for a human rights impact analysis and consideration of how to balance competing or conflicting sets of rights and freedoms ....
Cheers
Joy
-----Original Message-----
From: NCSG-Discuss [mailto:NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Avri Doria
Sent: Monday, 9 April 2012 4:11 a.m.
To: NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Update on IOC/RC issue: motion proposed by NCSG for PDP

Hi,

In any case, what we are asking for at this point is an issues report that studies these issues - moving beyond the beatification of RC/IOC.  And one of the nice things about the new issues report methods is that there is a review of the issues report that allows for the community to point out issues that are not being handled properly in the report.

As a reminder of what is invovled in the issues report (from the PDP final report)

> Recommendation 10. Timeframe for delivery of Preliminary Issue Report
> (B)
>
> § The PDP-WT recommends the modification of timeframes included in
> clause 1 – Creation of an Issue Report in Annex A in relation to the
> development and delivery of an issues report as
> follows:
>
> Within forty-five (45) calendar days after receipt of either (i) an
> instruction from the Board;
> (ii) a resolution from the GNSO Council; or (iii) a duly supported
> request from an Advisory Committee, the Staff Manager will create a
> report (a “Preliminary Issue Report”). In the event the Staff Manager
> determines that more time is necessary to create the Preliminary Issue
> Report, the Staff Manager may request an extension of time for completion of the Preliminary Issue Report, which request should be discussed with the Requestor.

> Recommendation 11. Mandatory Public comment period on Preliminary
> Issue Report (B) § The PDP-WT recommends that there is a mandatory
> public comment period that follows the publication of a Preliminary
> Issue Report and before the GNSO Council is asked to consider the
> initiation of a PDP. Such a Public Comment period would, among other
> things, allow for additional information that may be missing from the
> Preliminary Issue Report, or the correction or updating of any
> information in the Preliminary Issue Report. In addition, this would
> allow for members of the ICANN Community to express their views to the
> Council on whether or not to initiate a PDP. Depending on the comments
> received, ICANN staff would include public inputs and any necessary
> corrections to the Preliminary Issue Report turning it into the Final Issue Report and/or summarize the comments received for Council consideration. If no comments are received on the Preliminary Issue Report, the content of the Final Issue Report should be substantially similar to the Preliminary Issue Report.
>
> Recommendation 12. Role of workshops prior to initiating a PDP (M) §
> The PDP-WT recognizes the value of workshops on substantive issues
> prior to the initiation of a PDP. It is therefore recommending that
> information on the potential role of workshops and information
> gathering events be provided in the PDP Manual. In addition, the
> PDP-WT recommends that the GNSO Council should consider requiring such
> a workshop, on-line or face-to-face, on a specific issue during the
> planning and initiation phase for a specific issue, when deemed
> appropriate. The PDP-WT does not recommend mandating the use of
> workshops prior to initiating a PDP. Furthermore, the PDP-WT recommends that, if a workshop is held, invitations and/or announcements for workshops are communicated as broadly as possible.

So lots of opportunities for discussion about all of these details, if the Issues report motion succeeds.
And if we keep following the issues and are an active SG on this topic.

avri