On improving ICANN's governance

Alain Berranger alain.berranger at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 19 16:13:18 CEST 2012

Thks Adam for the reference... It would be good for all ICANN stakeholders
if this "glitch" turns out to be of minimal consequences.

Whatever happened and whenever we find out the entire picture, I find it
interesting meanwhile that so many, including myself, jumped to bigger
internal governance issues.

Clearly, there is a demand  by ICANN-friendly stakeholders, mostly the
volunteer type, for improving the governance of ICANN. ICANN is a "sound"
model but needs constant improvements, as all successful enterprises do.

I'm of the school of thought that governance can always be improved, so
that successful governance systems are for ever a work-in-process. I agree
with Klaus that now seems to be a good time to call a special gathering of
the stakeholders to see how ICANN and its stakeholders can work on an
improvement governance plan.

It may be too late for Prague, maybe not. Much governance introspection is
probably going on anyway at Board level and a broader participation by
stakeholders is desirable. However "the table can be set" by the time the
Toronto meeting comes around. The traditional meeting agenda could be
shortened to make room at the beginning of the Toronto meeting for a one
day dedicated discussion on ICANN's evolving governance.

Alain

--
http://www.ceci.ca<http://www.ceci.ca/en/about-ceci/team/board-of-directors/>