Fwd: [liaison6c] Draft Agenda GNSO Council meeting Thursday, 22 September 2011 at 20:00 UTC.

Marc Perkel marc at CHURCHOFREALITY.ORG
Wed Sep 21 22:22:18 CEST 2011

Actually Robin, I have an issue that needs to be discussed. And I hope I
understand this right, if I don't then ignore this entire message.

Recently we had an election to approve a charter or something and as I
understand it - non voters were counted as "no" votes. If that isn't the
case ignore this message, but if it is - that's fundamentally wrong. You
can not predeclare what the intentions of someone who chooses not to
speak are. It's stealing someone else's voice.

I have no problem requiring a minimum participation level. We should
encourage those who don't want to take a side to vote "present" as a way
of voting not to vote, and being part of the quorum. And we could even
penalize those who habitually don't participate.

So - if this is so - and if this is the right forum to address it, I
make the suggestion to move to a system that is fundamentally fair. I
think that it is important that the process itself be as clean as possible.

Thoughts anyone?