Issues in this election

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Sun Sep 11 21:34:51 CEST 2011

Alain,

I appreciate this offering, and I happen to be an example of someone who
holds a couple of .com domains but operates in an entirely not-for-profit
manner (my domains are used for essentially personal purposes, and there is
no revenue-generating function entailed -- I own the domains as an
individual, not as an organization), thus justifying my individual
membership in NCSG/NCUC.  (I've also done some work for IP Justice and
NCUC, largely back in 2007, as well as a bit for IGC.  I was previously on
staff at CPSR, and a few NCUC folks have had affiliations with that org as
well.)

When it comes to NCSG elections, however, in addition to overarching
philosophy as general context, what I'm personally really interested in is
where you come down on active issues of direct relevance to ICANN,
especially issues addressed by GNSO.  Privacy vs. access to registrant
information (i.e., due process) with respect to the WHOIS database.
Criteria for approving/rejecting gTLDs under the new policy (who has power
to veto and under what conditions and via what formal processes --
content-based?  trademark disputes?  "moral values"?  processes for
appeal?).  Some real nuts-and-bolts stuff relevant to representing us
meaningfully in this particular forum.

While the distinction that Marc draws can be important in motivating these
positions, it is ultimately the positions themselves that become most
important to us as a group.  Marc's point is sort of an indirect way of
getting at this, but why not aim at it directly.

So, do you support the privacy and due process interests of individual
domain registrants that may not have an institutional buffer to hide behind
with respect to WHOIS identifying data?  What is your position with respect
to ICANN's treatment of domains in the context of trademarks or in the
context of character strings that are linguistically meaningful in moral
terms?  Rights of national governments to veto gTLD applications (and the
appropriate role of the GAC at ICANN)?  Formal processes in gTLD
applications?

I am comfortable with your being new to NCSG.  I might be a little less
comfortable with your being new to ICANN per se, unless I can understand
how your general principles (or the general principles of those to whom you
will appeal for guidance) might inform your positions on ICANN-specific
policies, which is what this representation is all about.

Many other nominees here have substantial track records with respect to
ICANN policies -- they are "well-known quantities" here.  In the absence of
a track record there needs to be something else of a rough equivalent in
order to judge a candidacy.

Thanks,
Dan