Accepting nomination Re: [NCSG-Discuss] Council nomination-Wendy Seltzer

Wendy Seltzer wendy at SELTZER.COM
Thu Sep 8 14:22:22 CEST 2011

Thanks Konstantinos,
I appreciate the support from you and others on the list, and I am
pleased to accept the nomination.

> Once nominated, the nominee is responsible for public acceptance of the nomination and for making a public statement that includes:
> Name, declared region of residence, gender and employment;

Wendy Seltzer; North America; Female; currently employed by Yale Law
School, where I've just begun a fellowship with the Information Society
Project

> Any conflicts of interest;

No conflicts. I am a director of the Tor Project, Inc. and of the World
Wide Web Foundation (US), non-profit organizations working to improve
the privacy and availability of Internet access for all. I founded and
run the Chilling Effects Clearinghouse, chillingeffects.org.  None of
these organizations is involved with ICANN, but their interests are
consistent with those of NCSG.

> Reasons for willingness to take on the tasks of the particular position;

The open Internet has served as a tremendous platform for individual and
group expression and innovation, particularly helpful for non-commercial
organizing. ICANN plays an important role in coordinating the addressing
that routes these communications, and non-commercial voices can advocate
that its policies are fair for all Internet users. Effective
multi-stakeholder governance depends on participation of all those
affected by it, and I believe I can help non-commercial Internet users
to participate here.

> Qualifications for the position; and

As a lawyer and academic specializing in Internet law and technology
policy, I study communications technologies and the law around them. I
have represented non-commercial interests in various capacities in
ICANN: as a liaison to the Board, as member of the interim At-Large
Advisory Committee, and on many GNSO working groups. This experience
gives me useful insight into ICANN politics and its broader context. My
experience with Electronic Frontier Foundation and academic groups gives
me a strong connection to the public interest online.

> Statement of availability for the time the position requires.

I have been and continue to be available for the time the position
requires, participating in face-to-face and telephonic meetings, working
groups, and mailing list discussions.

I welcome any questions.  More of my work and bio is available at
http://wendy.seltzer.org/

Thanks!
--Wendy
--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org +1 914-374-0613
Fellow, Yale Law School Information Society Project