Council Nominations: Joy Liddicoat and Wolfgang Kleinwachter

nhklein nhklein at GMX.NET
Wed Sep 7 14:56:40 CEST 2011

I support these two nominations - the background descriptions say what
has to be said to justify the nominations.

Norbert Klein

=

On 09/07/2011 07:47 PM, William Drake wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am please to nominate for the open Council seats two outstanding
> civil society scholar/activists, Joy Liddicoat and Wolfgang Kleinwachter.
>
> Joy is the Project Co-ordinator for Internet Rights are Human Rights
> for the Association for Progressive Communication, a NCUC
> organizational member.  Joy is lawyer who's been a long-time activist
> on human rights on the Internet and beyond, and she's also involved in
> DNS issues and well attuned to the ICANNsphere.  At present she also
> serves Director of the Domain Name Commission, InternetNZ, the
> non-profit multistakeholder body responsible for managing .nz and
> related Internet issues in New Zealand, so she brings to the table an
> understanding of public interest aspects of the ccTLD space as well.
>  A strong human rights orientation has generally been lacking in ICANN
> and the GNSO, so she'd be filling an important gap.  At the same time,
> it would be good to further engage in NCSG the APC, which as probably
> everyone knows is the probably the largest NGO, a multinational
> network, doing civil society activism around Internet and ICT issues.
>  More about Joy here
> http://nz.linkedin.com/pub/joy-liddicoat/11/233/745 and APC here
> http://www.apc.org.
>
> Wolfgang is probably known to most members, as he's an individual NCUC
> member who's attended I believe all but one or two ICANN meetings
> since its founding and has served most recently as the chair of
> Nomcom.  He's a leading scholar on global Internet governance and
> ICANN who's been very involved with not only ICANN but the civil
> society coalitions involved in the WSIS and IGF.  He is a professor at
> the University of Aarhus, the organizer of the annual ICANN
> Studienkreis conference, the organizer of the European Summer School
> on Internet Governance, a founder along with Milton myself and others
> of the Global Internet Governance Academic Networks, and so on.  Like
> Joy, he has the background and disposition to be a great Councilor for
> the NCSG.  More about Wolfgang here http://www.intgov.net/persons/52
>
> Best,
>
> Bill

> William J. Drake
> International Fellow
> Media Change & Innovation Division, IPMZ
> University of Zurich, Switzerland
> william.drake at uzh.ch <mailto:william.drake at uzh.ch>
> www.mediachange.ch/people/william-j-drake
> <http://www.mediachange.ch/people/william-j-drake>
> www.williamdrake.org

A while ago, I started a new blog:

...thinking it over... after 21 years in Cambodia
http://www.thinking21.org/

continuing to share reports and comments from Cambodia.

Norbert Klein
nhklein at gmx.net
Phnom Penh / Cambodia