Policy Issue: Continuing Operations Instrument in the Applicant Guidebook

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Thu Sep 8 19:03:50 CEST 2011

Apologies for breaking into the election process with a policy issue.

David Maher, Chair of the RySG, has asked me to see if there is NCSG support for their recommendations concerning the creation of an alternative mechanism for the Continuing Operations instrument to create an escrow account as opposed to having each new registry to cover this independently.  Their proposal is explained in the attachment.

Within the JAS WG, several of us argued that something like this should be instituted for JAS qualified applicants.  I have told David that I support it in my personal capacity, but that - of course - I could not speak either for the NCSG or for either of its constituencies.

As ever it is up to each of the constituencies to decide for themselves if they support this. And if both constituencies can support it, up to the Policy Committee with the advice of the community to decide whether to make it an NCSG position.  I beleive they intend to present this to the Board with a request for consideration.  I do not have a deadline for this, but will check.  In the meantime I wanted to get the ball rolling.

thanks

avri