draft agenda for NCUC constituency day in Dakar!!

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 22 15:04:56 CEST 2011

Hi Konstantinos,

I would like to ask an item for the agenda regarding JAS, it will be topic
for the public forum (and board is expected to make decision about the JAS
final report). ALAC is planning to make statement too. thanks to Avri for
works done on the proposed statement.

Rafik

The NCUC wishes to congratulate the JAS WG on the recommendations it has
made to enable the new gTLD program to become one that gives a fair chance
to the developing world.  As the NCUC, we have been arguing for policies in
support of fairness since the time when the new gTLD policy was first being
discussed in the GNSO and have continued this by active participation in the
JAS WG, including having members serve as the JAS WG co-chair.  We are
heartened to see that this effort is now being championed by the GAC and the
ALAC and want to once again lend our voice to the call for fairness.

We encourage the Board to approve all of the measures in the JAS report, and
wish to single out a few that we believe need immediate approval and
implementation.  Without question, the fee reduction as recommend in the JAS
report, where all qualified development economy applicants pay a reduced fee
of $47, 000 USD, is necessary if the new gTLD program is to be considered
fair.  Even charging development economy applicants $47,000 USD will be a
challenge, but we understand the need for applicants to have some degree of
financial stake in the application.  To require more would exclude these
applicants from any chance of making an application in this round.  We
accept the arguments as given in the JAS recommendations that making these
fee reduction is consistent with the policy recommendation of the GNSO and
accept the proposals offered in that document of ways in which the reserve
fund portion of the collected fees and the expectation of auction funds can
be used to satisfy the requirements for a self funding new gTLD application
process

We also support the suggestion in the report, as well as suggestions made by
others that the continuity instrument required by applicants need to be made
more affordable for the development economy applicant.  The requirements in
the current Application Guidebook, will be incredibly difficult for regular
applicants would be a complete barrier to any applicant from a developing
economy.  This needs immediate redress.

Finally we urge the Board to accept the proposal in the JAS recommendation
for a Board organized working group to create an ICANN Foundation that would
as its first goal be able to raise and distribute funds to assist developing
economies in meeting the other expenses of creating registries to serve the
populations of the world's developing economies.  We appreciate the seed
funds offered by the ICANN Board and encourage those who have financially
benefited so greatly from domain name industry and from their involvement
with ICANN to contribute generously to build on this seed once the
Foundation is created.  In the meantime we encourage all those who can, to
publicly pledge to such a fund in anticipation of its creation.