for Debbie: Explaining votes made while representing NCSG while on GNSO Council

Tamir Israel tisrael at CIPPIC.CA
Fri Oct 21 05:01:39 CEST 2011

Hi there,

I've had the opportunity to do a reasoanble amount of research and
consultation, including, on occasion, with law enforcement, on these
issues in Canada, and the emerging issue on cyber crime has really been
this (taken from the globe/mail article posted below):

/*Do police lack sophistication?*/

/It's usually the reluctance of police superiors to devote resources to
this. Because the question they ask is, "Where are the victims? Why am I
wasting resources to catch a criminal who's not committing crimes in my
jurisdiction?"
/

I.e. the problem is one of resources and training, not lack of
surveillance powers. Solving it by throwing away our civil liberties
hardly seems justified, if it's a problem that can be solved by spending
a little more money on resources and training. Also, FYI, the newest and
most common meme in civil liberties/security erosion (particularly in
the cyber crime setting, but in other law enforcement-related scenarios
as well) is to leverage voluntary cooperation of private entities like
ICANN. It seems neither justified nor desirable.

On a final note, the /exception/ to this rule are typically child
pornography investigation units which are well resourced and highly
technically trained. They're also typically very effective, and are
least in need of sweeping new powers or information sources, although,
of course, child protection always ends up at the forefront of these
debates.

Best,

Tamir Israel
Staff Lawyer

Samuelson-Glushko Canadian Internet Policy & Public Interest Clinic
University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law, CML
57 Louis Pasteur Street
Ottawa, ON, K1N 6N5
Tel: (613) 562-5800 ext. 2914
Fax: (613) 562-5417