NPOC Membership was Re: [] for Debbie: …

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Sun Oct 16 10:37:37 CEST 2011

Hi Avri

On Oct 15, 2011, at 11:13 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> 1. The NPOC web site <http://www.npoc.org/members.html> lists 34 members
>
> 2. 15 of these are NCSG members including:
>
> Of which 7 activated at the time of the election

This is very helpful to know.  Why it falls to you to provide such information rather than the NPOC chair is a curiosity.

> All applications were submitted by Amber as Chair of the NPOC.

This seems unusual.  Has such a practice been followed in any other ICANN constituencies?  I would think it makes it harder for the EC to assess membership applications and to promote engagement in discussion here if we don't have people in the organizations standing up and saying I'm the representative of my org's members, who are interested in GNSO issues and have xyz concerns etc.  It'd be really great if we could hear from these folks and start to discuss things other than allegations and perceptions about inter-constituency relations.  We're supposed to be here to promote noncommercial interests in ICANN...

> Hope this answers the question.

Very much so, thanks as always for the time and effort.

> Good luck to the soon to elected char and the new NCSG-EC in sorting this all out equitably.

It would help me to think about the meaning of "equitably" if I could find the message you'd sent previously with the corresponding numbers for NCUC, but I can't.  All I find in my saved mail is one saying 56% of the NCSG membership had become active. Do you happen to recall how many of NCUC's 86 organizational members and 118 individual members replied and are thus "active" for the purposes of the election?

Thanks,

Bill