Question 3: Issues over the next years

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 13 16:10:08 CEST 2011

Bonjour Alain, ,

2011/10/12 Alain Berranger <alain.berranger at gmail.com>

> I'm concerned about the first round of gTLD finally going forward with so
> many of the details in JAS issues unresolved, recognizing any further delay
> is undesirable. The work of the JAS needs to be continued with a much
> broader participation so as to enrich the debate and the perspectives.

wearing here the hat of co-chair of JAS WG I want to give some clarification
about JAS works: the final report was approved by both GNSO and ALAC and
sent by them to board (thanks again to everybody who worked hard during this
summer to achieve that), a public comment period about the report for ICANN
community is going to be opened soon, so comments are warmly welcome .
Moreover, the ICANN staff should work on the implementation plan to be
proposed for board consideration, some important decision in that regard are
expected from board during Dakar meeting about JAS recommendations
especially because the context and host country.
regarding JAS continuation, there was already some discussion in topics
like encouraging registrars activities in developing regions (raised by
comments during ICANN meeting in Singapore)  but also there is expected work
about implementation plan itself (the recommendations are not limited to
application period starting in next January)
for remind, any GNSO WG is open to everybody, and we got new people the last
months even if it is sometimes hard for newcomers to catch ongoing
discussions.

> Finally, domain name security and transparency of ICANN's work will
> dominate the issues over the next few years. To increase the quality of the
> debate of these issues, we must bring new voices (more youth, more women,
> more developing world voices) and the new skills and mindsets they bring to
> increase the quality of the external and internal oversight and governance
> of ICANN's work. More young members will increase the capacity to understand
> and combat gaming, fraud, abuse, cyber squatting, etc...

nice to hear about bringing youth, I heard that many times in different
Internet Governance fora but the reality is far from that discourse.  I am
young person (at least according to UN definition :)) and from developing
country, I am quite doubtful when I see some icann constituencies dominated
by western (to avoid saying north american) adults talking about diversity
:) but at least in NCSG it has already young people involved and joined us
these last months even if it is not easy to participate in ICANN because it
is increasing complexity  .

about security issues, I am participating at the DNS security and stability
WG and even if we are at the beginning stage, the definition of threats and
etc is not easy while I find that many people in ICANN community for several
reasons have confusion about "cybercrime" and other "threats" (I like
the title of usual workshop in ICANN meeting called "DNS abuses", maybe the
DNS can be abused by not really by "cybercriminals"...)

Processes must be transparent and appear to be transparent and we should
> encourage open external and internal reviews of all kinds to raise the
> confidence level in the organization and its processes. This is true of the
> staffed organization processes but also the processes of the constituencies.

for transparency and accountability, the effort started with AT review team
set-up last year if I recall correctly, but a lot of work remain and the
board must be more keen to apply the different recommendations that it got
from the different reviews and studies.

Best Regards

Rafik Dammak

@rafik