NCSG input on request for special privileges for Red Cross & International Olympic Committee regarding Internet domains

Alain Berranger alain.berranger at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 13 04:59:25 CEST 2011

HI Milton,

Are we mainly concerned with second level domain names? as trademarked
and/or notorious gTLD names are dealt with: if you want to protect a
valuable resource such as a name - usually trademarked (say Nobel Prize or
Honda or Louis Vuitton or Apple or Red Cross) then the trademark holding
body must apply for a corresponding gTLD, which will be used for primary
purposes say jeanpierre.milan at design.louisvuitton. However, notoriety of a
given name may not always match the financial robustness needed to apply for
a gTLD, but that will be the exception, no? I'm not sure though. Is gTLD
aiming at a single root or a family of similar roots (hence the suggestion
to stick to strict international treaties nomenclature which I find
interesting but insufficient)? so what happens to related names such as
vuitton or vuitton bags or luis vutton... ICANN cannot substitute for INTA,
WIPO, etc... it must only respect INTA, WIPO, etc... rules and regulations.

Two hard calls: second level domain names with similar roots and also gTLD
that are "super generic" like .ngo. .intl... which really nobody can claim
ownership to!... but carry the promise of potentially huge revenues and
ICANN inadvertently granting or appearing to grant a monopoly or a license
to print money!

However, a reserve name list approach does not seem the way to go if only
because of issue of  "where does one draw the line"? Kafkaesque!!!

So in the end, ICANN deals with gTLDs, lawyers with trademarks... the rest
is open market philosophy in balance with security issues... maybe?

Is this too simplistic? am I missing something? Your views most
appreciated...

Best, Alain

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA