VeriSign demands website takedown powers

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Oct 11 23:03:51 CEST 2011

An issue here is what is the intended scope of the suspension service. If you look at VeriSign's actual announcement, it starts out talking about malware. But we all know that LEAs can consider copyright, gambling, and all sorts of other things to be grounds for suspension. The idea of a "free expression impact statement" is a great one, would it apply to this case as well? Would it also be advisable to push to constrain this process explicitly to malware and such technical threats?