NCSG input on request for special privileges for Red Cross & International Olympic Committee regarding Internet domains

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Thu Oct 6 11:01:20 CEST 2011

Thanks Timothe for raising all these concerns. NCUC has long worked on the basis of seeking to find a balance between protecting trademarks and the rights of individual domain name holders. And, in many cases, we have been successful. NCUC was key in demonstrating that the IRT recommendations for the new gTLDs were unfairly balanced and were seeking to re-write trademark law and in the STI we did a pretty good job in trying to strike this very balance I mentioned in the beginning. Now, there is the UDRP issue. NCUC would like to see it being reviewed because, in many cases, it misrepresents the legitimate rights of individual registrants in the name of protecting trademarks.

So, I am also concerned with discussions focusing only on trademarks and not individual users. In many instances, however, we keep on reminding to ICANN and to the other SG that individual users should be protected and in many cases even more because if they stop registering domain names or if we create an unfriendly environment then the Internet will suffer. Many people pretend that this is not an issue – but it is. So, I am against reserving names, I believe that they will create more problems and, in many instances, they will provide an unfair advantage. And, please watch the space of generics: I would like to start discussions on what we can do to block them from trademark owners. Time Warner should not be able to get gTLDs like: .time or .people simply because it holds one trademark right on these generic words for a specific good or service.

Thanks

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Senior Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA