Question 5: UDRP

Debra Hughes HughesDeb at USA.REDCROSS.ORG
Wed Oct 5 16:56:24 CEST 2011

I believe the UDRP should be reviewed regularly, including after the
launch of the new gTLD program.  From my conversations with many
nonprofit/NGOs, many believe protection from cyber squatting and fraud
is important to ensure the trust of our clients, communities and donors.

Domain names are used for a variety of purposes, like furthering the
mission of nonprofits/NGO, academic activities, advancing public policy
initiatives, and political speech, conducting commercial transactions,
providing a online presence for a for profit business or to providing a
platform to comment about a for profit business.  In all of these
instances, registration of a domain name comes with responsibilities.  I
believe all registrants have a right to use the Internet for legitimate
purposes and with that registration come the responsibility to follow
the rules and policies associated with registration, like being aware of
the rules and polices associated with domain name ownership.
Registrants have, and should have, the right to register and defend the
registration of domain names in which they can demonstrate a legitimate
interest, even if that domain name contains a brand.  Accordingly, the
UDRP should be reviewed regularly to ensure there is proper balance
between avoiding confusion and protecting other legitimate uses, like
political expression or free speech.  Also, since the UDRP is an
important policy, perhaps ICANN and the NCSG should consider ways to
educate registrants around the about the UDRP and the complaint
procedure in via podcasts/webinars and other global outreach efforts.

Debbie
Debra Y. Hughes, Senior Counsel
American Red Cross