Question 5: UDRP

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 4 15:41:07 CEST 2011

Hello,

there was already some discussion about UDRP and the urgent need for
reviewing it as many academic papers and surveys (collected and some of them
authored by Konstatinos and Milton) concluding about the issues related to
UDRP and its limitations as arbitration process for domain names to ensure
fairness. . this process need to be reviewed and assessed and more efforts
and changes to make it fair and not quasi-systematically in favor of
plaintiff in many cases including trademark.

there is ongoing discussion  in NCSG ML about the issue report of the
current state of UDRP and the alarm is triggered with the resistance of
ICANN staff in regard of initiating any actions or starting the process of
reviewing. we cannot accept this statu quo situation.

definitely the respondents rights needs more attention in particular with
the introduction of new process by new gTLD program mainly inspired from
UDRP which is the URS .URS raise issues like the time length to respond ,
again over again.

Rafik